quinta-feira, 18 de abril de 2013

Dandelion Sun Cake

On Sunday morning, after lots of rain followed by glorious warm sun, the dandelions were amazing, a sun reflecting, golden yellow. I felt compelled to try to capture their vibrancy and decided to make a cake. We (my husband and I) eat a lot of dandelion leaves, but my kids don't like their bitter taste. The petals are much sweeter. I did think about making syrup, but I have other syrups to use.

Early morning dandelions, not fully opened
It didn't take long to fill a bowl

Picking the dandelions was easy, but plucking the petals was very time-consuming and left me with stained fingers.
Dandelion Petals

I decided to cheat. I love experimenting and cooking with wild edibles, but I like quick recipes, nothing too tricky.

I'm rather ashamed to say that I didn't create an amazing recipe from scratch, but used my favorite shop bought cake-mix. You know the ones with sugar, flour and raising agents already mixed in the correct proportions. I just needed to add milk, butter and eggs. It was a gluten-free mix made with rice-flour. I also added 100g of dandy petals (washed and dried). I cooked it in a "ciambella" tin so that it cooked uniformly and didn't have a soggy centre.
The cake was a "ciambella"(donut shape)
A slice of Sun Cake

Usually this cake is very light, with the petals it was more filling. It also tasted less sweet than normal, but I was happy about that. The consistency was perfect and it went down really well with a glass of red wine. My kids also scoffed it.

Do you think I am a cop out?

Dandelions contain vitamins (A C and K) and minerals (calcium, potassium, iron and manganese).

Some people can be allergic to them. Always wash your wild edibles carefully before consumption.

Link:

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário